In the past I have had a few books come into my possession that I was so enthusiastic about reading that I flew through them in a matter of hours, and a price was always paid for this passion. There is a reason they teach reading comprehension to us as children. When one eagerly devours the words on a page, the things that make that work beautiful are often missed. My current goal in my own writing is to examine each part of my stories on a sentence level to ensure that I always express myself in the best possible way, in each and every line. I’m taking a poetry workshop to assist with this project, but it is proving to be more of a headache than it is worth.
Now the demands of a graduate program in English often require you to read a book in a day, which is frustrating but necessary. I’m trying to make a conscious effort to slow down, savor each sentence like an excellent meal, and copy out lines in particular that I love so that I can enjoy them again. I’m going to try to find a way to post these “regurgitations” on this blog, as well. Until then, I’m off to experience more prose with haste!
No comments:
Post a Comment